Pages - Menu

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

May You Have Happiness


This week's challenge on I am the diva was to create a tangle with some pink for Breast Cancer Month in honour of Ardath and others we had known who have been touched by breast cancer.

All I could think about was, damn cancer sucks.  Cancer has touched many of my family members and family friends.  My mom passed away from ovarian cancer when I was 15.  My great friend M lost her dad this past year.  It's just awful.

The woman who first opened my eyes to art when I was a teenager died from breast cancer several months ago.  Her name is Linda.

Such an ugly disease that is never pretty.  It's never...pink.  Linda, an artist and also an MD, hated the pink movement.  She knew what cancer looked like.  Linda was never very girly to begin with wore army fatigues to her chemo treatments to show she was fighting a war in her body.  And she was.

One of the last things she wanted to tell everyone was, "Be good and love one another."

I wanted my Zentangle to radiate happiness.  I wanted it to make you smile.  For the people out there that are dealing with cancer, or have cancer, you are not alone.  You are not forgotten.  May you have happiness.



9 comments:

  1. What a bittersweet post. I agree that it is an ugly disease, and the words create fear. I think that is why pink was chosen, to uplift and give hope. Beautiful tile and Linda was right, "be good and love one another".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! Interesting point about pink as well!

      Delete
  2. A wonderful piece of art depicting a very poignant story Hugs Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post really touches me and so does your lovely zia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The art was easy to make...the writing, not so much.

      Delete
  4. A VERY vivid response. We can be pink and still be strong. Power on! Have a brilliant day! c

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can most certainly be pink and strong! I am sorry if I came off poorly - did not mean to! You have a brilliant day too!

      Delete
  5. Love your work for this challenge and your story!

    ReplyDelete